Welcome back to my blog. I hope you enjoyed my latest post with my favourite recipes for Autumn! If you haven’t had a chance to read it yet, you catch up with it here!
In today’s post, I want to continue my Brunch with ESB recipe series and share with you the recipe for a millennial classic, Smashed Avocado and Poached Eggs on Toast.
I began this series earlier this year in July, to bring you the recipes for my favourite brunch recipes to make from the comfort of your own home. As England returned to lockdown last week, it seems the perfect time to share another to keep ourselves motivated with the best brunches over the next few weeks.
Today’s recipe is a popular brunch classic, Avocado and Poached Eggs on Toast, that is served in many brunch restaurants including the high street favourite, Bills and brunch speciality café, The Breakfast Club. It is the perfect alternative to a fatty fry-up and is easy to make if you know the steps to follow. As with every recipe you make, the better the ingredients you use, the better the finished product.
To accompany the recipe, here is my ukulele cover of ‘Magic’ originally sung by Selena Gomez as I think the combination of avocado and poached eggs is magic!
Without further ado, here is my recipe for smashed avocado and poached eggs on toast…
NO. 2 : SMASHED AVOCADO & POACHED EGGS ON TOAST
Makes one portion
2 slices of brown multi-seed bread
1 ripe hass avocado
Juice of half a lime (a lemon would do)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Chilli flakes, to taste (optional)
A small saucepan
A table knife
A small bowl
A slotted spoon
HOW TO MAKE
- Start by making smashing the avocado. It is important the avocado is ripe, which you can test by pressing gently on the tip of the fruit. If it gives slightly, it should be. Slice the avocado in half and take out the stone before cutting in quarters. When it is in quarters, remove the skin and place in a small bowl. (ESB Top Tip : It is If the avocado is ripe, the skin should peel away easily with no knives involved!) Flavour it with the lime juice, salt and pepper before mashing gently with a fork until you have a rough mixture. Place to one side.
- Before you poach the eggs, toast the slices of bread and butter lightly. I particularly enjoy seeded bread but you can use your favourite!
- To poach the eggs, boil a kettle and fill a small saucepan with the water. Crack one egg in a mug, tilt and place gently into the boiling water. Repeat with the second and cook on a low heat until the egg white becomes opaque and the yolk is partly cooked but not entirely. Don’t worry if the egg white spreads as it is meant to be homemade, not a restaurant dish!
- While the eggs are cooking, pile the avocado onto the two slices of toast and spread out to cover. Sprinkle with chilli flakes to taste if you fancy.
- When the eggs are cooked to your liking, take them off the heat and use a slotted spoon to remove them from the pan. Allow them to drain off the excess water before placing on top of the toast, one at a time, and use a knife to let the yolk ooze over the toast! Enjoy immediately!
Thank you for popping by my blog today. I hope you enjoyed reading my recipe for smashed avocado and poached eggs on toast! Are there brunch foods you would like to make at home? Let me know which recipes you would like to eat and I will make a list of brunches to make for this series.
See you next time for another tuneful post, but in the meantime,
Happy Tuneful Baking!
English Singing Baker x